21 June 2009

Mac and Cheeze


macandcheeze, originally uploaded by thegreenvinecoop.

So, this neohippie urban collective has been doing its gardening/composting/vegcooking thing for about three months now. Nothing ever seems quite significant enough to be the very first post, but I say this experiment with homemade baked vegan mac and cheese makes the cut. I heard about this version from some friends that proclaimed it the best they'd ever had. I asked the cook (Lea) for the recipe and she pointed me to this post at the great blog VeganYumYum. No vegan recipe in the world is ever really going to satisfy a cheese lover's hankering for mac and cheese but this definitely satisfies the more general desire for a creamy baked pasta comfort food. I like that this recipe throws in some broccoli to really make it its own unique dish, not just an attempt to replicate the classic. The base of the sauce is pureed cooked carrots and potatoes and Earth Balance plus a quintet of pungent flavors--miso, tahini, mustard, lemon juice and nutritional yeast--that give it a rich and hard-to-pinpoint tang. I followed the recipe pretty closely but I added some sauteed onions and garlic before I combined everything in the casserole. When I make it again, I'll probably add some more broccoli too. Good stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment